Being chosen as someone’s doula is amazing and I truly believe those drawn to working with me do so for a reason. I’m passionate about doing everything I can to make your birth experience as positive as possible.
If you’re looking for a birth doula and you’re considering who to have, you might like me if you:
- Want to look at all angles to give yourself as gentle a birth as possible
- Don’t mind putting in the practice to help yourself stack the odds in your favour to get the birth you want
- Understand the importance of the mind-body connection and want to work on this with me to help you give birth
- Are interested in ‘Hypnobirthing’ and would like a trained ‘hypnobirthing’ teacher with you when you give birth
- Want to uphold your rights in childbirth, be confident to ask questions and to know where to find the latest research
- Your birth partner (if you have one) wants to be the best birth partner they can be and is happy to work with you to do this. I support him to support you. This leaves more space for him to be able to concentrate on you. I take care of all the practical things like keeping you both hydrated so he can give you his full attention.
- Are first time parents and would like a birth guide to help you navigate the system and make sure you are aware of the choices available to you
- Have previously had a traumatic experience and would like a different experience this time around
As a doula, I’m like your Birth PA. I’m right there for you both. I know where to find great information and I know the best people. This saves you time, reduces stress and minimises leg work.
If I don’t know the answer, I’ll know someone who does. I’m a master of signposting.
I am well connected to all the latest research and information. Knowing this can help you decide which path is best for you.
I can come with you to appointments if you wish.
If you’re unsure of anything, I can be your sounding block.
I will help you understand the choices available to you and support you no matter what you decide.
This is your baby’s birth and I’ll be there to support you when you need me every step of the way.
We’d spend a good deal of time together. I average about 10 hours before the birth itself. We’ll talk about birth a lot though we don’t just talk about birth. We hang out. We’ll have fun and get connected. This is to make sure we know each other well so by the time you come to giving birth, you’ll feel really comfortable in my presence. This was we can all make as much oxytocin as possible. That’s the hormone that makes your body work more effectively. Your body will work better when you feel trusting of those around you.
Being chosen to be someone’s doula is a great honour and from the moment we start to work together, you can be confident I’ll be there. Each client takes a little piece of my heart.
Being a doula is a big commitment which is something people don’t always consider. There is a period of 4 weeks (or sometimes 5 weeks, on request) where I am on call for you. This is usually between 38-42 weeks. This means I stay within easy access. I need to be able to get to you quickly. So I tend not to take on other commitments.
If you book me, I may be free for all or part of your on call period. We’ll chat about how this works. I sometimes work with a back up doula. She would be someone you’d meet in advance. She has a similar philosophy to me and if you don’t love her that’s cool, I have others! (But chances are you’ll love her too) This enables my doula-ing to be sustainable.
I am a member of Doula UK and as such have access to a collective pool of strong women, brilliant minds and great information. I adhere to their Code Of Conduct.
And for fun…
We might get on particularly well if you;
- Like cake
- Can snowboard (or ski) down a mountain
- Think there’s nothing better that waving your arms in the air with brilliant friends watching your favourite band or dj’s at a festival
- You want to create a strong attachment to your children; to encourage them to think for themselves and be happy and productive members of society
And if we have any midwifery questions…
I use midwife Mark Harris, author of Men Love and Birth, as my right hand man for midwifery questions. I trust his judgement. Like me, he won’t make choices for you but he will expand your vision so you can make the best choice for yourself. He has just brought out an online course called Birthing 4 Blokes. It’s especially for dads who want to be the best birth partner they can be. Many of my clients choose to do this course in addition to the antenatal preparation we do together.
The evidence regarding having a doula is amazing. We help to stack the odds in your favour for you to get the birth you want.
Having having a doula can mean a:
- Reduced risk of Caesarean birth † *.
- Reduced risk of instrumental birth † *.
- Need for painkillers or epidural during birth is reduced † *.
- Reduced rate of induction of labour † *.
- Shorter labour †.
- Parental satisfaction with the birth experience is increased. †
- Increased likelihood of initiating breastfeeding *.
- Increased likelihood of successfully establishing breastfeeding & breastfeeding at 6 weeks *.
* Brigstocke S. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, vol 24, no 2, 2014, pp 157-160
† Hodnett ED, Gates S, Hofmeyr G, Sakala C. Continuous support for women during childbirth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD003766. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003766.pub5
If you are drawn to working with me, do contact me so we can discuss your requirements.
My price is £1200 (plus mileage at 0.35p/ mile)
Payments plans may be available.
If you think we could be a good fit, do contact me to arrange an interview:-)
My role is flexible and my support package can be tailored to you and your family.
If you’d like to know what previous clients have said please look at these testimonials.